4 Easy Tips On How To Use Elderflower
We are lucky in the Southern Hemisphere that we see the most beautiful plants at Christmas (both native and otherwise), one in particular is elderflower. We here at Wild Dispensary are always a fan of anything to do with plants and we are also a fan of making things. So why not combine the two and make a few presents this year celebrating the elderflower? Here's how to use elderflower in some delicious and unique ways.
🌿Related: 5 Incredible Elderflower Health Benefits
1 Elderflower Cordial
If you’re wondering how to use elderflower then this recipe is a classic. Good old elderflower cordial, it’s such a refreshing drink for summer! This cordial will last for 6 weeks in the fridge, but you can freeze it in ice cubes for later use. You can use this cordial to make drinks, add to jellies, add to fruit salads, or over berries, or even in festive gins…
🌿Related: 3 Summer Travel Essentials
20 fresh elderflower heads (stalks trimmed)
85gm citric acid
1. Place the sugar and 1.5Litres of water in a saucepan. Gently heat until the sugar has dissolved.
2. In a bowl of cold water gently swish the elderflowers through to get rid of bugs and dirt.
3. Bring the syrup to a boil, then turn off heat.
4. Zest the lemon and chop up the lemons and add to the mix.
5. Add elderflowers and the citric acid.
6. Cover the saucepan and leave for 24 hours
7. Strain the mixture and bottle into clean bottles. Label.
2 Infused Elderflower Vodka
Nothing says summer like an infused elderflower vodka! This recipe is super easy and creates a beautiful flavoured vodka that goes perfectly with some soda water, in a cocktail or even on its own. This is how to use elderflower in vodka!
10 small elderflowers
½ lemon zested
1. Shake the elderflower heads to get any bugs etc out of the flowers.
2. Pack into a large jar, add sugar and lemon zest.
3. Top up with the vodka.
4. Seal the jar and shake to help distribute the sugar and lemon zest.
5. Place in a dark place and shake each day. Leave for 2-4 weeks.
6. Strain the vodka into a clean new bottle and label. You can add more sugar to taste if you wish.
3 Elderflower Sorbet
4 Elderflower Toner
This recipe shows you how to use elderflower to help your skin! You can also add in rose petals, or calendula in the infusion. Another option instead of water is using witch hazel which is often used to help support healthy skin. If you are using witch hazel, leave the elderflowers infusing for 7 days then strain to use. This toner will last longer than the water infusion. If you have an empty Throat Spray bottle you can use this to put your toner in!
🌿Related: Summer Skin Health Naturally