Today is the 1st of July- A day that now signifies the start of 'Plastic Free July'.
Plastic Free July is a global movement that helps millions of people be part of the solution to plastic pollution – so we can have cleaner streets, oceans, and beautiful communities. We certainly love our own backyard here in Dunedin!
At our local beach St Clair- with Arlia.
We just wanted to let you know how we as a business try and reduce our waste footprint and be part of the solution.
We continually seek ways to take steps towards positive change in our business practice and operations. Waste minimisation is one way in which we can align with our values of sustainability.
Waste minimisation to us is about commitment to minimise waste across all areas of our business and includes:
- Initiating a bottle return scheme with all of our stockists in Dunedin and growing this to other stockists around New Zealand
- 100% Plastic free dispatch
- Composting 100% of our organic waste
- Maximising recycling
- Choosing materials that can be re-used or composted ideally over recycled...such as our home compostable tasting cups!
- Committing to product stewardship, with the ultimate goal of being zero waste.
- Although we are not there yet, we will commit to continuous improvements towards zero waste.
- Best practice- across whole business
- Zero waste journey- commit to continuous improvements
- Communicate culture of waste minimisation
- Move towards circular economy
Why it’s important to us
We care about the health of the environment. Plastic pollution and the waste crisis we all face means we all need to do a little more towards positive change for our planet and the species in it. Traditional linear economies have created huge resource wastage along with land and water degradation.
Up to 80% of the native species in New Zealand are now under threat of extinction, as well as many of their habitats have been degraded and polluted.
As a business we are aware, that we contribute to this issue. Therefore we believe it is our responsibility to strive for best practice. Re-use of packaging and waste minimisation is one way towards positive change.
Do head over to our Instagram and Facebook accounts this month as we share more behind the scenes of how we are trying to be part of the solution!